Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Project Nim. The Future. Circumstance.

It feels like the great films were few and far between at this year's Berlin Film Festival, but I had a chance to check out a few amazing films that have made the trip worthwhile. One from my personal favorite artists - Miranda July - a modern artist in every sense of the word - author, filmmaker, live performer, poet.... she has been such an inspiration for me. and when I can't help but think of myself as weird sometimes, she makes me feel so normal. Check out The Future, her follow up film to Me and You and Everyone Know. A very sweet little film that premiered here in Berlin the other day.

I also really enjoyed this little Iranian film called Circumstance from director Maryam Keshevarz, a beautifully told story about a wealthy Iranian family who struggles to contain a teenager's growing sexual rebellion and her brother's dangerous obsession. Roadside Attractions will release later this year.



Also one of the better docs I've seen in a long time comes from director James Marsh, helmer of the Oscar winning Man on Wire. Project Nim is about a chimpanzee who is taken from his mother at birth and raised by humans, only to be betrayed and abused by those he learns to trust. It's truly a heartbreaking story. You can't help but fall in love with this chimpanzee. It's so shameful what humans have put him through. Check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment